Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Toronto, Canada
Torontonian mama to almost 4 year old W and 1 year old L. Love to cook and bake and experiment with new recipes from cookbooks, blogs, friends, magazines.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Happy 2010!

It's snowing. Not big fat flakes, but tiny ones falling at a quick rate and accumulating fast! I hope we get 4 feet, that would be ideal. Unlike Toronto, where I spent some time during the holidays, this is pretty much our first major snowfall. While in the T.Dot, we had a lot of time to spend with my family and made the most of it.

It feels good to be home and back in the kitchen after taking it easy for the past 2+ weeks. The first meal I made when I got home was Chicken Paillards with Clementine Salsa, adapted from the December issue of Bon Appetit (thanks Becky!) It turned out nicely, I made no changes to the recipe, it was perfect just the way it was. I served the chicken with fingerling potatoes, tossed in olive oil, salt & pepper and roasted them for 35 minutes until they were slightly crunchy.


Salsa is one of my favourite things, and as I made this recipe I got to thinking, there are so many different variations of Salsa so I want to try a few different ones. If you love salsa too, and have a great homemade recipe for it, post it in my comments section. I plan on hosting a Salsa & Chips night soon and will have the guests vote on their favourite salsa. If you want me to love your salsa I prefer it extra spicy!

One of our favourite store bought salads, is the Greek Pasta Olympia, it has an odd name, but there is nothing odd about the taste. Despite the fact that it tastes so good, I still cringe every time I see the deli counter person scoop it out from the metal dishes and smoosh it into a plastic container, who makes those pre-made salads anyway and how long do they sit there before someone buys a few scoops of it. Needless to say, my homemade version is a million times better, and I made it last night for dinner. So here it is!




Greek Pasta

1/2 package Rizopia organic brown rice pasta

1 Container of Cherry Tomatoes (halved)

1/4 Red Onion, sliced very thing

Approximately 20 Kalamata Olives (halved)

1/2 Cucumber cut in half moon slices

1/2 Red Pepper, cut into 1 inch squares

A big hunk of good quality Feta (crumbled)

1. Boil noodles to your liking, preferably al dente, drain and toss with olive oil. Let cool.

2. While the noodles are boiling, cut the vegetables and toss together with the feta in a big (pretty) bowl.

3. in a separate bowl mix 1/4 cup olive oil, juice of 1 lime, a few generous shakes of dried oregano flakes, salt and pepper. Finally, toss the Pasta with the veggies and the dressing. If you want to add some protein, throw in a can of tuna or 1/2 a can of beans of your choice. ENJOY!

Readers, get cracking on the salsa recipes, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

2 comments:

  1. Vi! I made the Greek Salad for dinner lastnight -- it was FANTASTIC!! I served it with Rotisserie Chicken (yes, store-bought; i wimped out on that). Next time i'll try not adding salt - the feta i chose was great but salty. We had tonnes of leftowners, which i think will be great for lunch! THANKS!!!!!
    ps, i knew you'd put that mag to better use than me!
    luv, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chunky fresh salsa like that. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete