Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Toronto, Canada
Torontonian mama to almost 4 year old W and 1 year old L. Love to cook and bake and experiment with new recipes from cookbooks, blogs, friends, magazines.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Taste of Autumn

January is more than half way over and I'm still trying to kick this sore throat! The medication I've been taking is leaving me without an appetite and sluggish, which is never a good thing, but especially not when I have so many new cookbooks and recipes I'm dying to try, yet nothing sounds appetizing. I did, however manage to make a few new dishes this week, one of them being Pumpkin and Feta Risotto from my New Food Fast cookbook. Risotto is quite time consuming to make, but totally worth ever bit of effort. This recipe has the perfect balance of sweet and savoury, it's creamy texture is so comforting and definitely very filling!

Pumpkin and Feta Risotto

1lb Sweet Pumpkin (I used buttercup squash)
oil
sea sat and pepper
5 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
1 tbs Olive Oil
2 cups arborio rice
1/4 cup chopped chives
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
5 oz marinated feta in oil
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the pumpkin on a baking tray and toss with oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes or until soft.
To cook the risotto, place chicken stock in a saucepan over medium heat and allow to simmer. Place oil in a separate sauce pan over medium heat. Add the rice and cook or 1 minute or until rice is translucent. Add the stock, 1 cup at a time, and stir until stock has been absorbed. Continue adding until all the stock has been used, and rice is creamy.
To serve, stir the chives, Parmesan, pepper and pumpkin through risotto. Top with feta and its oil and serve.

note- I toasted the seeds from the squash and sprinkled them on top of the risotto for a garnish and a little crunch.


2 comments:

  1. butternut squash is one of my favorite vegetables! That looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sook!! I actually used butterCUP squash, similar to butternut, but slightly sweeter and it has more of a grainy texture

    ReplyDelete