Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Toronto, Canada
Torontonian mama to almost 4 year old W and 1 year old L. Love to cook and bake and experiment with new recipes from cookbooks, blogs, friends, magazines.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cookies, Korma, Horsies, OH MY!

My mouth is a little on fire. still. Chicken Korma was on the dinner menu, from scratch, might I add, and it turned out fabulous! I got the recipe from allrecipes.com, which i find to be a very useful site because of the reviews people leave once they've tried the recipe. B and I love our food extra spicy, his excuse is that he's half Hungarian and my excuse is, i just love it and don't feel like i need to justify the fact that I can handle some serious heat when it comes to my food. Anyway, I had a feeling the original recipe wouldn't be spicy enough, so I doubled up on all the spices: tumeric (which stained my wok and countertops yellow), cumin, garam masala, coriander seed, and most importantly Indian chili powder (ok, so I may have tripled the amount of that one). I served the Korma with Basmati rice and butter paratha. YUM! The recipe made a ton of food so we invited a few friends of ours over on a whim to help us enjoy it and so we weren't the only ones who's mouths were deliciously on fire. I will definitely make this again, i have no choice as my pantry is now full of oversized quantities of Indian spices.

Baby W "talked" to my mom on the phone today and they discussed baking cookies, and other things you can talk about with an 18 month old. For the rest of the day, W kept saying "mama, COOKIEEE" so i decided to pull out my "The 250 best Cookie Recipes" cookbook by Esther Brody which I recieved as a wedding gift from a family friend back in 2005. Traditional Peanut Butter cookie is what I chose, they were so easy to whip up, but the outcome was less than peanut buttery goodness. They were flat, bland, and when they cooled, they were...unsightly pieces of yuck! As you may know, darling readers, I enjoy baking and i usually don't have issues with my finished product, which has now led me to believe this cookbook does not contain the 250 best cookie recipes. B has, on several occasions tried to persuade me to throw the book out, but i keep hoping one day I will find a worthy recipe that lives up to the title of the book.

Tomorrow is another one of my beloved riding lessons with Sammy, the beautiful horse I ride every week. Last week we worked on 2 point which was easy, but I always have difficulty getting into it after not riding for a whole week. B and I agreed that I will start riding 3x per week for the next little while. This worries me, as I've become so attached to the stables and being around horses, that I can totally picture myself asking for a horse next Christmas ;)

~toodles!

2 comments:

  1. How long did you ride? did you ever have your own horse? I went to Trainer's Choice on Howard and picked up my helmet, tall boots, and breeches. it's such a stylish sport, if I ever do get my own horse, i plan on buying a pair of Hermes riding boots ;)

    ReplyDelete