Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Toronto, Canada
Torontonian mama to almost 4 year old W and 1 year old L. Love to cook and bake and experiment with new recipes from cookbooks, blogs, friends, magazines.

Monday, November 9, 2009

Bison Burgers and Peameal Bacon Sandwiches

I did not make these delicious things, but enjoyed eating them at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair this evening. (the 3 little cuties ate slices of pizza from a PizzaPizza booth)

Cooking these days for me has been non-existent, with the exception of mac and cheese (homemade, not Kraft-yuck-whatever-its-called) for W and an egg white omelet for myself at breakfast. I love being in Toronto but I'm feeling really guilty about my fish who have been alone since last Wednesday..oops! according to Wiki they should be o.k!

Tonight was the first time my little girl wore makeup, but the type of makeup Mimi Bobeck would wear, and it came in the form of a swirly lollipop from awesome Joshua!


I briefly mentioned the Gruyere-Walnut Crisps I made in my last post. They were strange. Every time I had a bite of one, I had to remind myself they were savoury and not sweet, because they looked like shortbread cookies but tasted very VERY different.
...after tasting a few of these mini cheese crispy things, I couldn't help but think they tasted alot like a popular child snack, which is why I snapped the next photo.


Have you ever had peameal bacon? If so, what is your favourite way to enjoy it? tell me in the comments section.

8 comments:

  1. the best way to eat it is on a toasted english muffin with cream cheese and a thick slice of tomato. yum!!! miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peameal bacon sandwich from St. Lawrence Market - Kaiser with fried peameal and a fried egg on top. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. best and only 2 ways is from Royal winter fair, on a crisp cool fall evening, and around mom's kitchen table with burek! yummy!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with St. Lawrence Market Carouselle Bakery...the best peameal bacon....or you can just pan fry it and eat it on a kaiser (Deda Rada archives) good with mayo or with Diana sauce and homefries!

    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  5. These all sound delicious! I loved the one I had last night because the bacon was sliced so thin and was not chewy like it is when you buy it from the grocery store and make it at home. Didn't make it to St. Lawrence Mkt last weekend, but if we're still in town this Saturday I will definitely go and try one from there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a recipe for Peameal Bacon and Parsnip Chowder - it's divine!!! Rebecca D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love that recipe Becky! Such an interesting combination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Certainly!

    I got it from the FOOD&DRINK magazine that the LCBO puts out. It orginally serves 20 (!) so i cut most things in 1/4. Also, it doesn't call for corn, but i add it in anyways.

    1/2 Tbsp veg. oil
    1/2 to 1 package peameal bacon,diced
    1C onion, diced
    1C diced, unpeeled red potato
    2C diced, peeled parsnip
    3C chicken stock
    1 tsp chopped fresh thyme (i leave this out)
    1/4 tsp cayenne (i leave this out for Juliana)
    1/2C whipping cream
    1/4C chopped fresh parsley
    1C corn, fresh or frozen

    1. Heat oil in a soup pot, add peameal bacon and fry for 2 minutes or until fat has rendered. Add onions and saute unil softened, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes, parsnips and continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring well to combine.
    2. Pour in stock and season with thyme and cayenne (optional). Bring to boil, then simmer for 20 min or until vegs are tender. Add cream, parsley and corn and simmer gently for 5min.Serve garnished with a sprinkle of paprika.
    3. Enjoy!

    B

    ReplyDelete