Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Toronto, Canada
Torontonian mama to almost 4 year old W and 1 year old L. Love to cook and bake and experiment with new recipes from cookbooks, blogs, friends, magazines.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

no fun Sunday

I've been slacking in the blogging department, but only because there are a million other things i've been busy with. The gym is one of them, and I'm proud of that, I'm also back in the saddle (litterally) after not having a riding lesson in over a month due to travelling and such. My lesson on Friday was so great, I started jumping which was such a rush! I'm supposed to ride again tomorrow, but doubt I will be able to because currently I'm half laying on the couch, foot elevated on 3 pillow and ice on my swollen ankle. I rolled it last night and now its ugly, ouchie and depressing. I've never had a sprained ankle so I don't know how long this will last, any suggestions as to how to make it heal quicker? Anyone?

We celebrated American Thanksgiving with my good friend and fellow blogger Ana and her whole extended family, there were close to 75 people for dinner at her parents house in adorable Rochester. The spread was unreal, they had everything from fried turkey, to a pomegranate and nut salad yum! Since we missed Canadian Thanksgiving this year (B was in Boston and I was in CO) celebrating it now was a real treat.

Have you ever tried Quinoa? (pronounced Keen-Wah) I discovered it several years ago and its been a staple in our house ever since. It's so versatile and the absolute epitome of nutritious! One night this week I made a Quinoa salad type dish. Other ways of incorporating it, is to use it in lieu of potatoes, rice or pasta. Tip: always rinse the Quinoa well before cooking to get rid of the natural pesticide it produces, failing to do so will result in a very bitter taste.

Quinoa with Coconut-Lime Dressing
6 Cups cooked Quinoa
Scallions
Shitake mushrooms (or your favourite kind)
Broccoli
Basil

For the dressing you will need 1 cup of Coconut milk, 2 tsp Fish Sauce, the juice of 1 lime.
Sautee the scallions, mushrooms, broccoli until cooked but still quite firm, add the cooked Quinoa, fresh basil and finally toss with the dressing add salt and pepper to taste. This can be served hot, room temperature or cold.


My ankle is frozen, I'm pretty sure that means I've iced it long enough.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you guys made it out for Thanksgiving on Thursday. I had such a great time. Willow was adorable, as always. Gym date this week? Hope your ankle feels better! I missed you today.

    ReplyDelete