Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Toronto, Canada
Torontonian mama to almost 4 year old W and 1 year old L. Love to cook and bake and experiment with new recipes from cookbooks, blogs, friends, magazines.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Stew and Buns..whats not to love?

Dear readers: NO my child and husband have not been starving to death, I have been cooking dinner for the last month just haven't put forth the effort to blog about it. Between our anniversary, engagement parties, Valentine's day, quick jaunts to Toronto and back, gymnastics & swimming lessons, I've been a little busy. However, not busy enough to stay off FB, how does that happen anyways? I'm considering cancelling it altogether, I've said this for a while, but now it's just getting annoyingly time consuming and addictive.

Last night I made the most simple, yet delicious Chicken Stew I've ever had. It came from my grandma looking "Company's Coming" cookbook. I made a few small modifications to the recipe, I used whole white baby potatoes instead of regular potatoes cut up, and rather than chopping the chicken thighs into cubes, I left them whole. The meat was so incredibly soft, we barely had to chew it. So maybe this is why a grandma wrote this cookbook, maybe it's for our denture-wearing friends. Regardless, this recipe was outstanding, I will definitely make it again.

Chicken Stew

4 medium potatoes, cut bite size
4 medium carrots, cut bite size
1 chopped onion
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 cups hot water
1 tbs chicken bullion powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground thyme (I used fresh thyme)
1/2 tsp Liquid Gravy Browner - if anyone knows what this actually contributes to the dish, please enlighten me.

Layer potatoes, carrots and onion in a slow cooker. Lay Chicken thighs on top.
Stir next 6 ingredients together in a bowl. Pour over Chicken. Cover. Cook on Low for 9-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours (I chose the latter, I put it on at 1pm and it was perfectly done for dinner at 6pm)


Whilst placing an ACE baguette into my cart yesterday I realized it's been a while since I last attempted to make bread. I bought the ingredients for bread, kept the ACE just in case the bread flopped, and proceeded home.

Here is how they turned out, I was VERY pleased with the final product, Benn had 4 of them with the Chicken stew and another 2 today at lunch as his sandwich bread. YUM!







Looking forward to enjoying one tonight, toasted, with some triple cream brie and pears.

6 comments:

  1. oh I love those rolls... It looks like you had a nice dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're back!! Yay for you - and me ;)
    Maja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sook, by the way, I'm making your Hoisin Lettuce wraps for dinner tonight. Maja, you're so encouraging, thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI liquid browning gravy just gives the eye appeal. What looks good usually tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the stew looks great...and the bread...AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the insight Anonymous. Martha, I'm going to put you on the spot and ask if you've made anything from the coobook I gave you? Im expecting a guest blog post from you soon ;)

    ReplyDelete