Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Toronto, Canada
Torontonian mama to almost 4 year old W and 1 year old L. Love to cook and bake and experiment with new recipes from cookbooks, blogs, friends, magazines.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I want a new set of pots and pans for Christmas, that would make me very happy. and maybe a new kitchen too!

As mentioned in my last post, while making my apple pie yesterday I accidently forgot to "dot" the apples with butter prior to going into the oven. Turns out, it wasn't entirely necessary the pie turned out delicious and the Macintosh apples I used were the perfect type to use in this particular recipe. I used my favourite pie crust recipe from Home Cooking with Charlie Trotter

Mom's Apple Pie

Filling
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled and cored apples
1 tablespoon butter

Streusel Topping
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1/4 tsp nutmeg

In small bowl combine sugar and next 5 ingredients. Place half sliced apples in pie crust and sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Top with rest of apples then rest of sugar mixture. NOTE: I added the apples to the sugar mixture and coated them well before putting them in the pie pan. Dot filling with butter. Top with the strusel topping.

Bake 40 to 50 minutes in a 425 degree oven.


I've been making ALOT of vegetarian meals lately, so I knew it was time to start adding a little more meat to our dinner menus. Last night I made Veal Scallopini. The original recipe just called for the veal to be smothered with a mushroom sauce type thing, in addition to that I served it on a bed of brown rice spaghetti pasta, which gave the meal more substance. The veal was a little tough but thats because B wanted it crispy which meant it spent way more time in the pan than it should have. I will make this again, but will subsitute chicken for the veal. I used portobello, shitake, crimini and oyster mushrooms. Love mushrooms, the more the better! The recipe didn't call for Basil, but I added some to the flour which coated the veal.





Dinner tonight is Vegetable Pearl Barley Stew, it's in the crock pot now and smells yummy. I hear W bouncing around in her crib and I better get her before she jumps her way out! She's attempted MANY times. I'm just waiting for a huge THUD!

4 comments:

  1. It turned out very nicely and tastes even better the next day..I just had a bite ;) try it and let me know how it turned out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vi,
    That apple pie looks so good. I think I'm going to make it for my guys! We miss you!!
    ...now that the guys have facebook, they will be able to keep in touch more often.

    Love,
    Lil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lil! If the guys like Apple Pie, this is a great recipe! Instead of the struessel top you can do a lattice top with a second pie crust. if you do make it, snap a picture and let me know how it turned out. xo

    ReplyDelete